Grade Level: 6-12
Interest Level: N/A
Reading Level: N/A
The Discovering Literature Series is designed to develop a student’s appreciation for good literature and to improve reading comprehension. At the Challenging Level, we focus on a variety of reading strategies that help students construct meaning from their experience with literature as well as make connections between their reading and the rest of their lives. The strategies reflect the demands of each literature selection.
In these study guides, we will focus on beginning a book, setting and mood, irony, plot structure, foreshadowing and flashback, characterization, forming hypotheses, evaluating a book, plot conflict, point of view, inferencing, rereading, theme, narration, and the genre of dystopias.
Each chapter analysis is organized into three basic elements: Journal and Discussion Topics, Chapter Vocabulary, and Chapter Summary.
Other features include Strategy Pages to increase students’ understanding of strategies to enhance their comprehension of literature; Testing at the end of each chapter grouping, and Writer’s Forum for students’ to write in a variety of genres relating to the text.
This 75-page teaching guide includes an answer key.
Table of Contents
About the Organization of This Literature Guide
• Journal and Discussion Topics
• Chapter Vocabulary
• Chapter Summary
• The Groupings of Literature
Other Features of the Challenging Level
• Strategy Pages
• Writer’s Forum
Introducing the Literature
• Sample Lesson Plan
Tolkien and Species
• Strategy 1: Beginning a BookChapter 1: An Unexpected Party
• Strategy 2: Plot—The Design of a StoryChapter 3-4
• Strategy 3: Setting and Mood• Strategy 4: Characterization
• Writer’s Forum: Compare and Contrast• Strategy 5: Rhetoric• Strategy 6: Maps• Strategy 7: Runes
• Strategy 8: Point of View• Strategy 9: Fantasy• Test: Chapters 1-4
• Strategy 10: Plot Conflict
• Strategy 11: Foreshadowing and Flashback
• Strategy 12: Setting and Mood• Writer’s Forum: Diary Entry
• Strategy 13: Character
• Strategy 14: Irony• Writer’s Forum: News Article• Test: Chapters 5-9
Chapter 11: On the Doorstep
Chapter 12: Inside Information
• Strategy 15: Reference, Allusion, and Parody
• Writer’s Forum: A Scene from a Play
• Test: Chapters 1-14
Chapter 16: A Thief in the Night
• Strategy 16: Theme• Writer’s Forum: A Possible Ending
Chapter 18: The Return Journey
• Strategy 17: The Hero’s Journey
• Writer’s Forum: Poetry• Writer’s Forum: Compare and Contrast a Book and a Movie• Test: Chapters 15-19
• Chapter Pages• Strategy Pages• Writer’s Forum Pages• Tests
Write a review
Note: HTML is not translated!
Rating: Bad Good
Enter the code in the box below: