Rmedia's Products are Aligned to the Standards
We’ve made it easier for you to find appropriate materials for your classroom. Our innovative products & inclusive approach ensures that all students' needs are met. Our products are identified by four different classifications: CCSS, Grade, Interest, & Reading.
Look for the "CCSS Level" on products throughout our website (for an example, click here), which indicate the Common Core grade level standard the product aligns to. These resources will support your implementation of Common Core State Standards. Follow the links below to download a spreadsheet for the Remedia products aligned to the Core Math Standards & a spreadsheet for the Core English Language Arts (ELA) standards.
Interest Level: This is the grade level at which students will find the material interesting and relevant.
Reading Level: This is the grade level at which a student is expected to be able to read the material.
A Summary of the Standards
Below we have outlined a sample of the goals children in grades 1 through 5 will be working towards according to the Common Core State Standards as well as a few of the Remedia products that we recommend to supplement those standards.
- Using phonics (matching letters and sounds) and word analysis skills to figure out unfamiliar words when reading and writing
Try These: Fun with Phonics, Build-a-Word Phonics, Phonics Photo Flash Cards
- Describing characters, setting, and major events in a story, using key details.
Try These: Hot Sports Readers, Beginning Reading, Cut, Paste, Color: Reading Comprehension
- Getting facts and information from different writings
Try These: Great Invention Readers, I Wonder Readers, Hi/Lo Reading
- Writing about a topic, supplying some facts, and providing some sense of opening and closing
Try These: First Steps in Writing, Easy Sentence Writing
GRADE 1 Math
- Solving addition and subtraction word problems in situations of adding to, taking from, putting together, taking apart, and comparing
Try These: How many do you see?, How do I add?, How do I subtract?
- Adding with a sum of 20 or less, and subtracting from a number of 20 or less
Try These: Number Line Math, Easy Addition & Subtraction
- Understanding what the digits mean in two-digit numbers
Try This: Primary Place Value
- Measuring lenghts of objects by using a shorter object as a unit of length
Try This: Measurement
- Paying close attention to details, including illustrations and graphics, in stories and books to answer who, what, where, when, why, and how questions
Try These: The Five W's, 5W's Games, 5 W's Fiction & Nonfiction Stories
- Determining the lesson or moral of stories, fables, and folktales
Try These: Critical Thinking & Classic Tales: Fables and Folk Tales
- Using text features (e.g. captions, bold print, indexes) to locate key facts or information efficiently
Try These: Labeling for Comprehension, Specific Skill Buidlers Story Cards: Using the Context
- Writing an opinion about a book he or she has read, using important details from the materials to support that opinion
Try These: Specific Skills Series: Fact & Opinion, Specific Skill Builders Story Cards: Identifying Fact & Opinion, Writing Basics Series: Book Reports
- Writing stories that include a short sequence of events and include a clear beginning, middle, and end
Try These: First Steps in Writing: How do I write a story?, Creative Writing
- Participating in shared research projects (e.g. read books on single topic to produce a report)
Try This: Writing Basics Series: Writing Short Reports
- Retelling key information or ideas from media or books read aloud
Try This: Specific Skills Builder Story Cards: Getting the Main Idea
- Producing, expanding, and rearranging sentences
Try These: Sentence Sequence, First Steps in Writing: How do I write a sentence?
- Determining the meaning of the new word formed when a known prefix or suffix is added to a known word (happy/unhappy; pain/painfull/painless)
Try These: Skill Booster Series: Prefixes and Suffixes
GRADE 2 Math
- Quickly and accurately adding with a sum of 20 or less (e.g. 11+8), as well as subtracting from a number 20 or less (e.g. 16 – 9), and knowing all sums of one-digit numbers from memory by the end of the year
Try These: Timed Math Drills: Addition and Subtraction, Easy Timed Math Drills: Addition and Subtraction, Addition Flash Cards
- Solving challenging addition and subtraction word problems with one or two steps
Try These: Step-by-Step Word Problems, Math Word Problems, FUNbook of Math Word Problems
- Understanding what the digits mean in three-digit numbers (place value)
Try These: Place Value Learning Kit, Primary Place Value, Math Focal Points
- Measuring and estimating length in standard units
Try This: Measurement
- Reading closely to find main ideas and supporting details in a story
Try These: Specific Skill Builders Story Cards: Getting the Main Idea, Specific Skills Series: Finding the Main Idea
- Describing the logical connection between particular sentences and paragraphs in stories (e.g. first, second, third; cause and effect)
Try These: Critical Thinking Skills: Sequence, Specific Skill Builders Story Cards: Detecting Sequence
- Comparing the most important points and key details presented in two books on the same topic
Try This: Comprehension Connection
- Writing stories that establish a situation and include details and clear sequence of events that describe the actions, thoughts, and feelings of characters
Try These: What Shall I Write?, Writing Basics Series: Writing Stories
- Read stories and poems aloud fluently, without pausing to figure out what each word means
Try These: Core Reading Skills Program: Binder 1, Improving Reading Fluency & Comprehension
- Distinguishing the literal and nonliteral meanings of words, such as "something's fishy" and "cold shoulder"
Try These: Idioms & Proverbs, Similies & Metaphors
- Spelling correctly and consulting dictionaries to clarify meaning of words
Try These Materials
GRADE 3 Math
- Multiplying and dividing up to 10 x 10 quickly and accurately, including knowing the times tables from memory
Try These: Timed Math Drills: Multiplication and Division, Flash Cards
- Solving word problems using addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division
Try These: Step-by-Step Word Problems, FUNbook of Word Problems, Math Word Problems, Practical Practice Math Series
- Understanding fractions and relating them to the familiar system of whole numbers (e.g., recognizing that 3/1 and 3 are the same number)
Try This: Easy Fractions
- Measuring and estimating weights and liquid volumes, and solving word problems involving these quantities
- Try This: Math at Home
- Describing the basic elements of stories — such as characters, events, and settings — by drawing on specific details in the text
Try These: Daily Reading Activities, Reading for Details
- Paying close attention to key features of informational books and articles: these include understanding the main and supporting ideas; being able to compare and contrast information; and explaining how the author uses facts, details, and evidence to support particular points
Try These: Core Reading Skills Program: Binder 2, Everyday-Life Reading & Writing Practice
- Writing summaries or opinions about topics supported with a set of well-organized facts, details, and examples
Try This: Specific Skills Series: Summarizing
- Writing complete sentences with correct capitalization and spelling
Try These: Language Quickies, Proofreading
- Relating words that are common in reading to words with similar meanings (synonyms) and to their opposites (antonyms)
Try These: Antonyms and Synonyms
GRADE 4 Math
- Using whole-number arithmetic to solve word problems, including problems with remainders and problems with measurements
Try These: Word Problems, Practical Practice Math Series, Practical Practice Math Folders
- Adding and subtracting whole numbers quickly and accurately (numbers up to 1 million)
Try These: Math Puzzles: Addition & Subtraction, Math Practice: Addition & Subtraction, Blast Off!
- Multiplying and dividing multi-digit numbers in simple cases (e.g., multiplying 1,638 × 7 or 24 × 17, and dividing 6,966 by 6)
Try These: Multiplication Computation, Math Puzzles: Multiplication & Division Computation
- Adding, subtracting, and multiplying fraction in simple cases (such as 2-3/8 − 1-1/4 or 3 × 5/8), and solving related word problems
Try These: Adding Fractions, Subtracting Fractions, Multiplying Fractions, and more
- Understanding simple decimals in terms of fractions (e.g., rewriting 0.62 as 62/100)
Try This: Drill & Practice: Decimals
- Compare and contrast the overall structure (e.g., chronology, comparison, cause/effect, problem/solution) of events, ideas, concepts, or information in two or more texts. As well as analyze multiple accounts of the same event or topic, noting important similarities and differences in the point of view they represent.
Try This: Comprehension Connections Story Folders
- Quote accurately from a text when explaining what the text says explicitly and when drawing inferences from the text.
Try This: Specific Skills Series: Making Inferences, Labeling for Comprehension
- Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in a text, including figurative language such as metaphors and similes.
Try This: Writing Basics Series: Poems
- Writing opinions that offer reasoned arguments and provide facts and examples that are logically grouped to support the writer’s point of view
Try This: History-Based Reading Binder
- Writing stories, real or imaginary, that unfold naturally and developing the plot with dialogue, description, and effective pacing of the action
Try These: Writing Basics Series: Writing Stories, Writing About Me
- Consult reference materials (e.g., dictionaries, glossaries, thesauruses), both print and digital, to find the pronunciation and determine or clarify the precise meaning of key words and phrases.
Try This: Dictionary Skills
- Recognize and explain the meaning of common idioms, adages, and proverbs.
Try These: Idioms & Proverbs, Crossword Puzzles: Idioms & Proverbs
GRADE 5 Math
- Adding and subtracting fractions with unlike denominators (e.g., 2-1/4 – 1-1/3), and solving word problems of this kind 538J
Try This: Fractions
- Generalizing the place-value system to include decimals, and calculating with decimals to the hundredths place (two places after the decimal)
Try These: Checkbook Math, Drive-Thru Menu Math
- Use equivalent fractions as a strategy to add and subtract fractions. Solve word problems involving addition and subtraction of fractions referring to the same whole, including cases of unlike denominators, e.g., by using visual fraction models or equations to represent the problem. Use benchmark fractions and number sense of fractions to estimate mentally and assess the reasonableness of answers. For example, recognize an incorrect result 2/5 + 1/2 = 3/7 by observing that 3/7 < 1/2.
Try These: Percents, Drill & Practice: Decimals